SOMERVILLE- DECK & SUBSTRUCTURE REPAIRS, S-17-039, ROUTE 28 OVER WASHINGTON STREET (MCCARTHY OVERPASS)
The expected work for this project shall consist of, but not be limited to the following:
• The joints shall be replaced with link-slab where applicable and replaced with strip seal joint where link-slab is not possible. Using link-slab will require both adjacent bearings to be expansion. If bearings need to be replaced, elastomeric bearing pads shall be used.
• Some substructure patch work has already been done. The consultant shall investigate all concrete further for additional repairs.
• The concrete substructure shall be sounded for integrity. Any delaminated and spalled area shall be excavated and prepared properly for concrete patching. Cracks shall be injected and sealed.
• Structural steel shall be cleaned and painted. After the paint and rust are removed, if significant amount of section loss is observed, the consultant shall investigate the need of repair.
• The inspection report indicated that some steel girders over bearings had cracks near the bottom at the web. Consultant shall investigate rather this is an isolated incident or rather it is a structural design detail that is causing the cracks.
• Closed drainage system shall be cleaned, and all damaged piping shall be replaced.
Due to the complex roadway layout under the bridge, the consultant shall carefully prepare a traffic management plan that incorporates all the work necessary for the bridge at all stages of construction. The consultant shall communicate with the locals early in design to avoid conflict.